Saturday, July 17, 2010

It's all happening at...the cemetery

I hadn't been to Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery since June so last week I thought I'd head on over there and see what I'd been missing. It turns out I'd been missing quite a bit! A family of Black-eyed juncos (Junco hyemalis) (left) foraged about the trail very industriously. The juveniles have become more difficult to distinguish from the adults as their plumage takes on a more mature look. Young Black phoebes (Sayornis nigrescens) (below) sprang wildly into the air for
insects and then chased each other around and about the oaks with wild abandon.

Remember the Cooper's hawks (Accipiter cooperii) I saw in April? Their offspring (below) can now be seen perched in the same trees their parents were frequenting last spring. They also perform daring acrobatic flights, flying among the treetops faster than my eyes can follow. This morning I watched one of them amuse himself chasing a Brown creeper (Certhia americana) up and around a tree and then nearly tip over as he landed a bit clumsily, before taking off again and disappearing into the canopy.

1 comment:

  1. I love your bird drawings; they have such life and energy in them. I laughed at your description of the young hawks, juveniles are such fun to watch. :)

    ReplyDelete